Mom Shares Warning After 4-Year-Old Boy Nearly Dies Playing With Popular Magnetic Toy


This tends to be a time of year when children are busy playing with the new toys and other gadgets they may have received during the holidays. For a four-year-old boy named Beck, however, life is quite different. He was in a hospital bed, recovering from the surgery that saved his life.

His mother, Jennifer White, thought that her son had the flu at first but then he started to “vomit a very dark color” that looked like coffee grounds. She knew that something bad was taking place.

She immediately grabbed her son and her husband and they rushed to a nearby hospital. An x-ray confirmed that emergency surgery was necessary for the young lad at Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee.

Apparently, the child swallowed 13 magnets out of a popular toy. It was sold as a child-safe toy and they had no reason to believe otherwise.

The magnets had attached to each other inside of the intestines and created holes in the lining. He ended up with an infection and had to have parts of his intestine, colon and appendix removed.

White said that she and her husband are careful about the toys that Beck plays with because he has autism. They even personally tested this toy to make sure that it wasn’t a threat but they never could have predicted this would happen.

“I really thought these were safe,” the mom said. “Absolutely thought he would be OK. If I had an inkling that this would have happen I would have just got rid of them.”

She went on Facebook to talk about the experience and to warn other parents about the danger of letting their kids play with magnetic toys. This would also include animals playing with the same toys.

“I feel guilty AF and horrible posting this but I don’t want another child to go through this. If you have little ones or chewers these are dangerous and we’re removing them from our home. Dogs could also break these open too.”

Her last update was on December 27. Doctors had ordered Beck to stay in the hospital for “3-4 days” because it was necessary to restart his bowels and to be cautious of an infection. White said that he is still considered to be a high-risk.

Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts ❤️ all the good vibes and juju are needed. We are headed to Children’s…

Posted by Jennifer White on Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Although wasn’t specifically stated, it appears that the toy was part of a Tiles Stem Education Magnetic Blocks set.


log in

reset password

Back to
log in