Dog’s Ear Falls Off After Owner Decided To Dye Them


It seems as if an owner wanted to dye a dog’s ears bright red and unfortunately, the tiny dog’s ear has fallen off. It has caused outrage among animal advocates around the world.

Diffy is the name of the dog and his owner is from Eastern Thailand. They had recently gone to a grooming salon and she told them she wanted to dye the Pomeranian’s ears and tail a bright red color.


The groomer went through with the suggestion and it involved putting the pup’s ears in foil for over 40 minutes. It wasn’t long after it took place that the owner noticed that the dog’s ears were drooping. They typically stick straight out.

When the owner went back to the grooming salon, she informed them that the ears didn’t look right. She was then told that they would perk up within a couple of days.

The harsh dye that was put on the fur was too much for the little Pomeranian. The owner looked at the ears and saw that they appeared to be burning. In reality, the dog was having a severe reaction and it was certainly not the proper product to be used on an animal.

Diffy’s ears started to itch after a few hours and soon, she saw the skin flaking off. She went online to look for help but didn’t reveal her name.

“Before the dye, my dog’s ears were up. But after I went to the pet store and the dog stylist colored his ear with aluminum foil for 40 minutes without heat, I took him home and his ears turned out like this.

They were folded down. The stylist said that I have to wait for two or three days and his ears will recover. Has anybody experienced this before?” she asked the internet.

It wasn’t long before people were posting their opinions about what she had done. Some were offering helpful advice but others were just calling her out for being irresponsible. There are some animal-safe dyes on the market but I guess she didn’t do her research in advance.

Before long, another update was posted and it was more shocking. The dog was losing his ear.

“Diffy’s left ear is now falling off because of the color dye. The pet groomer put too much dye on him. My dog’s ear was itchy, burnt, turned black, cracked, and eventually fell off. I don’t blame the grooming store but I blame myself for wanting to have his ears dyed,” read the unnamed woman’s second post.

After sharing the picture it went viral and started to circulate quickly. The pictures eventually were seen by veterinarians and animal charities and they were furious.

The owner of the dog rescue group Mid Road Lover in Bangkok, Neeyada Sirisampandh was shocked by what she saw. She couldn’t believe that somebody had let this happen.

“Let this be a lesson to other dog owner’s. It is dangerous to dye your puppy’s fur. This dog’s ear looks like it suffered an allergic reaction and was burned. Then it fell off. Her ear is gone forever. It’s all the owner’s fault for trying to colour them,” she said.

The RSPCA also had a comment on the subject.

“Our pets are living creatures and dyeing them sends out a worrying message that they could be viewed as novelty accessories rather than as intelligent, sentient animals.

People may think they are treating their pets by dying their fur but some of the paints, dyes, inks and glues used can be toxic and harmful to animals. Even if a dye is marketed as ‘pet friendly’, we would strongly advise against it.

These dyes can be dangerous and the experience of being dyed can be stressful for our pets who do not understand what is happening,” they told the Metro.

This may have been a tough lesson to learn, but we hope that she learned a lesson from it.


log in

reset password

Back to
log in